Kentucky State Treasurer - Todd Hollenbach State Treasurer Kentucky State Treasurer - Todd Hollenbach State Treasurer

Filing a Claim

Procedures for Claiming Property Presumed Abandoned

Any person claiming an interest in any property which has been surrendered to the Commonwealth (per KRS 393) should file a claim with the Kentucky State Treasury by completing an official claim form.

The claim form is available on Missing Money is a partnership between the Kentucky State Treasury, The National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators, and Xerox.  The partnership employs the latest technology to provide nationwide search services.  Claimants are able to print an official claim form on their home printer.  Click HERE to visit the website.
If the above link does not work on your device, click here to visit the website:

Evidence to Support a Claim

The Kentucky State Treasury may require evidence to verify a claim. Such evidence may include copies of birth or death certificates, proof of former residence (copy of cancelled check, bill, school records, etc.), or evidence of a business relationship with the reporting company. Every claim is different; however, the staff of the Unclaimed Property Division will determine the evidence appropriate for your claim.

Public Hearings and Appeals

The claimant may make a request to the Treasury for a public hearing. All decisions rendered shall be in writing and shall state the substance of the evidence. Claimants may appeal the decision of the Kentucky State Treasury within 60 days to the Franklin Circuit Court (per KRS 393.150).

Payment of Claim

The Kentucky State Treasury shall authorize payment to the claimant of a sum equal to the amount originally surrendered to the Commonwealth less $1 to help defray the cost of the Treasury's advertisement.



Last Updated 3/10/2016